Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Skinny on Brisket Fat

When I started this blog, I made sure to mention whenever I made a mistake, I'd admit it. And although I didn't technically commit a culinary blunder, I did something making the brisket I shouldn't have.

Uh oh, that's not good.

Don't worry, it's nothing to call the CDC about. It's simply when you buy a brisket, make sure you trim some of the fat off. In the brisket cooking entry I said to put the brisket "fat side up", but I didn't tell you to trim some of that fat off.

Sorry about that.

So how much of the fat should you trim off? Well, that's up to you. You can leave all of it, it will just more time to cook it and make it harder for the rub to creep in. But before you go all Freddy Krueger on it, remember you'll want to leave at least a thin layer. Because the fat's where it's at. "It" being flavor. Moisture. And down-home juicy goodness.

Now I know better. And I hope this info betters your own brisket.

If you want to know more (a lot more) about brisket from market to main dish, check out this link:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

It offers a wealth of information, even a virtual brisket to help you out. A virtual brisket. Lord, take me now, I'm in heaven.

I hope you'll feel the same way after making your own brisket.

No comments: